Sunday, November 1, 2015

Tallulah River ramble



   I loaded up the Jeep and took off for one of Georgia's top five scenic places .
The Tallulah River Basin originates in Clay county NC but it's most beautimous portion is in Georgia . The Tallulah River Gorge is world famous and a fantastic state park but my favorite section goes through the old logging , gem mining , town of Tate City . Not to be confused with Tate ,Georgia , marble capitol of America . The scars left by logging and mining in this region are hard to find nowadays . The road carved and blasted for logging being the notable exception . Of course it also makes access to this shaded gorge much easier .




   I completely missed the trail to Denton Branch Falls and wound up in the Nantahala Wilderness . Dang , I was even in the wrong state for a spell . Oddly enough , a lot of the landmarks found at the end of the road matched the ones for the falls . As long as I was here , I took a short hike up trail 377 . The babbling noises from off trail drew me through the woods to a noisy cascade .




   The narrow lane leading down river into Tate City was relaxing . I think I may have passed maybe a dozen other adventurers . There were still quite a few roadside wildflowers .
  If you happen to be traveling with your better half , she can shop to her hearts content at Tate City Mall  while you set a spell . Not sure of the hours of operation .






   I really don't think the beauty of this area can be overstated . I often try to imagine what it looked like before the miners and loggers showed up . Can you imagine what it took to get in this steep , shaded gorge and start their operations ? Even though they weren't the most environmental minded folks in the world , even for that time , they overcame substantial obstacles and hardships with 1930's technology and brute strength .








   Another side jaunt that I kept putting off was calling my name as I approached the bridge at it's entry . Coleman River Scenic Area . The Coleman joins the Tallulah on the west side of the bridge . While the trail is only a mile or so long , reports of steep , overgrown trails with footbridges in a state of disrepair had put me off trekking up the Coleman . Big mistake on my part  !
   While the trail is steep in places and you do have to duck under a fallen tree or two , it's just not that bad . The footbridges were on par with what you would expect on a remote trail .






   If you are so inclined , young , fit , and equipped with 4wd shoes , you could bushwack your way up and along the river bank . If you are  old , fat , and out of shape like me , just stay on the trail . You can enjoy the river view down through the trees and the occasional open area . I will be back for a better view when the leaves are down . Quick FYI . Calling the Coleman a river is a bit generous .





   There are three USFS campgrounds along the Tallulah . Very few campers were taking advantage of them on this absolutely gorgeous day . There are great campsites along the river , clean restrooms , and potable water available . The river is regularly stocked with trout . A stocking schedule can be seen at Georgia's DNR website . Please use the bear proof trash receptacles and take the recommended bear proofing suggestions .
  Even though  I missed my original target of Denton Branch Falls , this scenic valley is a must see destination for all seasons and reasons . Driving tour , biking , hiking , camping , fishing , hunting , photography , and leaf peeking , it has it all . This is one of the few public lands that is so unique that most visitors practice leave no trace and pack it in , pack it out without thinking about it . It is that beautiful .

No comments:

Post a Comment