Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Eufaula NWR ramble



   Eufaula NWR is located just north of Eufaula , Alabama . The town itself is well worth a visit . A well kept and enchanting stretch of houses line the main drag headed to Lake Eufaula on the Chattahoochee which is also the dividing line between Alabama and Georgia . Factoid - When the state line was established ,unlike most rivers dividing status , The Georgia line was placed at the high water mark on the Alabama shore rather than the center of the river , giving Georgia title to the entire width of the Chattahoochee .



   This trip was in mid May . It must have been the mating season for these guys because they were everywhere and appeared to be doing quite a bit of traveling .



   The water in the impoundments was very low to non existent . There were signs of hogs rooting every where you looked . There seems to be a serious hog problem here . While standing on the edge of the levee scanning a semidry section , I heard something coming towards me in heavy brush at the bottom of the levee . With the wind in my favor , I was expecting to see deer .  Nope . About a dozen of these little piggies popped out about ten feet away , saw me , said something that sounded like '' oh it-shay '' and took off hauling butt . Momma either wasn't there or she laid low .



   I was starting to wonder about the bird sightings , or rather the lack of , but I was still in the upper portion of the Refuge . I headed down to the Houston impoundment that follows the Chattahoochee .     A first for me in these numbers that appeared through out the Refuge were the Little Blue Herons .



   This is not the best photo but there are four different species in it . Front left is a Snow Egret . Front right is a Great Egret . Back left and right are Little Blue Heron . Back center is a Great Blue Heron .



                                                      Another Great Blue Heron      



                                                                      Great Egret



There seemed to be a little bit more water in the lower impoundment .



                                                            American White Ibis

                                                         


   These tiny purple flowers gave much of the area a rather splendid purple haze .





  There were quite a few of these blooming as well . I guess I am going to have to invest in a plant I D book or catch the devil from the YaYa plant experts .





   The aquatic flowers and plants were putting on a pretty good show also .








                                                                 Fishing buddies



   Something I missed entirely while trying to get a shot of this Ibis was the hog trap in the background . I only saw it after I had downloaded pics and reviewed them on the monitor . The Refuge is definitely trying to get the hog problem under control . Maybe I can help them out when hunting season rolls around .



   I finally got this Ibis in focus when it slowed down for a landing .




   I am still working on my photography skills and this is a great place to work on them .



   From the next pics you would never guess where they were taken . This stretch of beautiful flowers was planted planted between the road and the maintenance equipment yard . Not bad from what I assume are some construction type workers .





   The Chattahoochee River gets fairly wide as it enters Lake Eufaula . There were quite a few folks out fishing . If you are looking for a place to wet a line , birdwatch , relax , or maybe catch up to some bbq on the hoof , I highly recommend this fabulous Refuge , lake , and town .


No comments:

Post a Comment