Thursday, February 12, 2015

A quiet ramble in a noisy place

   Getting there can be a bit of a challenge , especially at the wrong time of day . Right in the heart of Cobb's dreaded places to avoid at rush hour , is this quiet place . Going through the construction at 41 S and the Chattahoochee , I had to make a U turn to get to the entrance to West Palisades . Once through the construction parking you come to the trailhead and boat ramp . The river kind of makes the noise fade away .




   Even walking under the I 75 bridge , you can block out the noise if you focus just right .



   A foot bridge allows you to keep your feet dry as you cross Rottenwood Creek . It appears that someone is starting a new /old tradition of  love locks . It will be interesting to revisit this in the coming years



  Just before crossing the creek there is a nice area with tables and benches in the early sun just waiting for lunch .



   The path going up Rottenwood Creek is not only paved , it is striped and marked with signage - KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS- . I only had about a dozen folks pass me , but on a weekend I imagine the signs are necessary .



    Rottenwood was bigger and more scenic than I had imagined .





   I only went about 2/3s of the way up the hill by the office parks . Office buildings and power lines don't do much for me . However the STEEP GRADES  signs made me chuckle since they had put several ''whoop di doo's '' in the walk . Apparently for bikes and skateboards . Or grandkids's new Green Machines .




   Back down at the bridge , I took the up river path . Much , much more to my liking .



Looking across at the White Water Creek area of the CRNRA.



   They must have been generating at the dam because the river was up and running at a pretty good clip .



   Back at the parking lot I ran into the Ga DNR stocking truck and 2 of our finest . They had just stocked 2,300 12 -14'' brown trout and rainbow trout from the I 75 bridge down to the boat ramp .



   Seeing as how this is Atlanta , a little clarification may be in order . No , they are NOT that kind of brown trout and I don't know , nor do I care if the rainbows were representing .

  At least I am calm enough to face the traffic to get home .

No comments:

Post a Comment