Thursday, November 6, 2014

Dick's Creek Trout Trip

Dick's Creek Falls


Last time I had been to the Dick's Creek in the Chestatee WMA was quite a few years back on a pre hunt scouting trip .
( Oddity -- Dick evidently rambled all over Georgia . There's a plethora of creeks with the name of Dick . Either that or there's a lot of Dicks in Georgia .)
At the scouting trip ,I had the good fortune to visit with the area manager at the check station . North Georgia mountains have the friendliest greenjeans I have ever met . Including the Feds . This fellow told me of two 600 acre tracts that weren't well known . One was behind the check station . The other was at the end of the road that Wet Pets is on .
(Oddity -- I once did business with WP when I was working for an insurance repair company .A client in the la-de-da part of Roswell had a couple of pine trees fall into his koi/goldfish/turtle pond . WP provided containers and maintenance for the fishies during repairs .
According to the Roswell gent the turtles ''davids'' had been offended by the ''davids'' of the intruding pine trees and had vacated the premises .
Hell ,I didn't know turtles and pines had ''davids''much less what said ''davids '' were until the gent explained that they were the soul or spirit . All living things have ''davids'' . Who'd a thunk it ?
If you ever get a chance to visit Wet Pets , they are great folks and very informative .
OK , back to Dick's , or one of them anyway .
My Yankee compadre  ,Ron , and I decided to try our hand at trout fishing . It was too hot to go to the low country lakes . Ron is from Rochestah , but he's mostly OK . Sometimes .
We rolled up to the parking area by the falls in my trusty (mostly) Dakota . We checked out the falls and started fishing the upper end . Not the first bite . Not a chub or a horneyhead . Ron decided to try his luck in the lower pool while I snapped a few pictures at the top .
I eventually worked my way to the edge to check on Ron . Ron ain't no spring chicken ,plus he ain't from around here if you know what I mean .
Well Ron is facing downstream and his fishing pole was laying on the bank , Damn , Ron must be taking a leak right there in the fishing hole .
I hollered down at him 'cause I wanted to fish that pool too . He couldn't hear me so I took his picture and started working my way down around the falls . In no particular hurry either .


I got down to him and he was still in the water on a huge slab of rock that extended down into the pool . My first thought was he's taking the longest leak on record for an old codger .
Ron looks up and says ''Help''. I started laughing still thinking he had been taking a leak and said ''Like hell I will ''. Ron said ''No ,I really need help . I can't get out ''. Mind you , Ron was wearing Crocs . He had tried to cross a slimy slick and slid right down into the pool . With all the slime on the rock , he couldn't walk or crawl up the incline .
I extended my fishing pole out so he could clamber out to where I could give him a hand . Other than a slight head ache from his screaming hearing aids that had gotten wet ,and being a little wet and chilled , he was OK . Still a Yankee , but OK . Mostly .
We hung out there for a while fishing and drying out . Ron couldn't cast to the base of the falls where the pool was the deepest so he started edging around the top of the rock to get close . Again ! I told him if he fell in again ,I wasn't pulling his sorry butt out . Again ! ! It took a little convincing but finally he relented .



We decided to fish a bit longer . Out of nowhere ,bone chilling screams bounced all over the rocks around us . You cannot imagine the surprise and delight on our weathered old faces when scantily clad young women came raining down out of a beautiful cloudless sky .Unfortunately their randy young boyfriends were hot on their heels . Unbeknownst to us ,this perfect trout pool was also the local diving cliff and swimming hole . The younguns apologized for messing up our fishing . We replied '' No problem , we weren't catching . Y'all go ahead and enjoy your swim .''
Well , ole Ron gets up and starts walking toward the falls and the slick spot . Again !!! I asked what in the hell he thought he was up to . He just grinned like a possum and said '' Don't pull me out when I fall in this time ''.
Damn Yankee



No comments:

Post a Comment